Community conservation and Forest Governance:
Thematic team’s main focus is to facilitate the ongoing initiatives of local communities in conserving and managing the forests in Odisha. The team work towards fostering institutional mechanisms and their higher scale collectives such as federations for inclusive and participatory management of forest ecosystems.
To achieve democratization of forest/natural resource governance in socially just, economically sound and ecologically secured manner.
MISSION: Community conservation initiatives and Forest Governance:
Thematic team’s mission is to promote conservation of biodiversity in Odisha through research, environmental education, capacity building and advocacy for legal and policy reform to steer a new era of ecological security.
Our goals are guided by the principles of:
- Ecological security
- Social equity and justice
- Equitable benefit sharing
- Respect for traditional rights, knowledge and uses
To achieve our goal, we intend to work on the following key areas:
- Ecosystem services and human wellbeing
- Landscape ecology
- Biodiversity conservation
- Community forest management
- Other community conservation initiatives
- Protected areas